[SDI-Africa] Land Officer– National Consultant, Kenya, with travel to Somalia required
klance_remote at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 23:44:39 EST 2006
Land Officer– National Consultant (National Professional Personnel), Kenya (Nairobi, with travel to Somalia required)
Deadline: 27 December 2006
Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/SWALIM/03/06
Duration: 6 months
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) Somalia Water and Land Information Management System (SWALIM) – GCP/SOM/045/EC
The incumbent together with the land team will be responsible for producing different layers that will be the input for the final report “Land resources assessment of Somalia”. Specifically he/she will undertake the following:
- Contribute technically to the land suitability assessment in two areas of interest in Somalia (north and south) with specific regard to soil erosion modelling and mapping.
- Contribute technically to the Land degradation assessment at national level using the LADA approach. He/she will also work in the land vulnerability assessment of the aforementioned areas of study.
- Model and map water and wind soil erosion types for the three areas of study using available spatial soil erosion models.
- Participate in the assessment of other different indicators of land degradation.
- Perform environmental modelling activities for supporting Land degradation assessment, environmental change analysis and pastoral resources studies.
- Perform other related duties as required by the Land Evaluation Coordinator, Land Coordinator and the Chief Technical Advisor.
- University degree in agronomy, agricultural engineering, environmental science or related fields.
- Three years of professional experience in land degradation assessment (knowledge on LADA approach will be an advantage) using RS and GIS techniques for the different land degradation indicators.
- At least two years of professional experience in the use/application of Remote Sensing and GIS for natural resources modelling.Ate least two years of working experience in soil erosion mapping and modelling (knowledge of models like RUSLE-3D, USPED will be an advantage).
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (English language).
- Prior work experience in Somalia and/or with complex emergencies would be a distinct advantage.
Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to submit a covering letter quoting Vacancy Announcement No. FAO/SWALIM/03/06 along with their current/detailed Curriculum Vitae and completed FAO Personal History form (available at http://www.fao.org/VA/adm11e.dot), photocopies of certificates, name, address and e-mail address of three referees. E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and the application should be sent to vacancy at faoswalim.org. Envelopes should also clearly be marked ‘CONFIDENTIAL - FAO/SWALIM/03/06’
This Vacancy is open to male and female candidates.
Qualified Somali nationals are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications must be received by the deadline. Late applications will not be considered.
Only short listed candidates meeting all essential qualifications will be contacted.
Vacancies Contact: vacancy at faoswalim.org
Land Evaluation Coordinator
3rd floor, Kalson Towers, Parklands
P. O. Box 30470-00100
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SDI-Africa