[SDI-Africa] job: contactor - indicators for the Convention on Biological Biodiversity (deadline 30 June)
klance_remote at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 24 07:43:09 EDT 2006
The GEO Secretariat requires a contractor for short-term support for its 2006 Biodiversity and Ecosystem Societal Benefit Area activities. The Secretariat will be developing a Biodiversity and Ecosystem Strategy in conjunction with the GEO Member Countries and Participating Organizations. The strategy will build on work conducted in pursuance of the 2006 GEO Work Plan. Specifically, the following activities are planned for the contractor to support the Secretariat in the preparation of the strategy:
1. Conduct an assessment of current international, regional and national and non-governmental activities that are being undertaken to produce the indicators for the Convention on Biological Diversity 2010 Biodiversity Targets.
2. Based on that Assessment, prepare a report on the current status and any potential barriers to integrating the data at a global scale.
3. Additionally, provide recommendations for integrating activities to better achieve the 2010 Targets.
4. Report on the status and recommend model information systems and portals for the GEO Secretariat.
5. Assist the development of the 2007-2009 GEO Work Plan and help identify appropriate leaders in each of the tasks. (A workshop and a symposium are planned for this year to engage the GEO community on the development of the strategy).
6. Provide support to Biodiversity and Ecosystem workshops (tasks) that will aim at engaging and building capacity of stakeholders at the local, national and regional levels. (these activities will be directly related to helping countries achieve their respective 2010 Targets).
Qualifications and attributes:
1. A good understanding of Earth observation and Earth sciences.
2. An understanding of GEO Biodiversity and Ecosystems objectives;
3. Demonstrated ability in quantitative and qualitative analysis;
4. Experience with national and international biodiversity and conservation NGOs;
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with fluency in English;
6. Computer literate with as a minimum proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) or equivalent Open Source software;
7. Knowledge of biodiversity and ecosystems data, databases and information systems
Duration of contract: The contract will be for a period of 3 months, based in Geneva.
Remuneration: Between USD 5,900 and USD 7,000 per month to be decided in accordance with qualifications and previous experience.
Starting date: Immediate
Application Procedure: Interested parties should apply via email to the GEO Secretariat: secretariat at geosec.org, submitting the following no later than 30 July 2006:
1. Letter of interest addressed to Secretariat Director JosÃ© Achache;
3. Example of previous work;
4. Three professional references.
Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1Â¢/min.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SDI-Africa