[SDI-Africa] Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) & Africa
klance_remote at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 12 03:14:23 EST 2007
Global Monitoring for Environment and Security (GMES) & Africa
GMES is a European Union-led initiative in partnership with European Space Agency (ESA) to combine ground- and space-based observations to develop an integrated environmental monitoring capability. As a result of a meeting held December 7th on "Space for Development: the case of GMES and Africa" (http://www.mundiconvenius.pt/2007/gmes/) the ‘Lisbon Declaration on GMES and Africa’ has been adopted.
The meeting brought together organisations and governmental European and African bodies. The following representatives were part of a session to address users’ expectations on GMES Africa
- Tsehaie Woldai, President – African Association of Remote Sensing of the Environment
- Maxwell Donkor Economic Senior regional Advisor, UN-WATER Africa – Economic Commission for Africa
- Benjamin N'dala, Secretary General – Commission Internationale du Bassin Congo-Oubangui-Sangha
- Mohamed Yahya Ould, Director General – Centre regional AGRHYMET
- Bwango Apuuli, Focal Point to AMESD – IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre
- Abeer F. Shakweer, Deputy manager – Center for Futures Studies, Cabinet's Information and Decision - Support Center, Coordinating Disaster Management, Egypt
- Wilbur K. Ottchilo, Director General – Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development
The Lisbon Declaration calls for the first draft of an action plan for establishing the partnership between GMES and Africa to be submitted to EU and African constituencies by the end of 2008.
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SDI-Africa