[SDI-Europe] Job position: GIS Coordinator, European Topic Centre on Spatial Information and Analysis - Malaga (Spain) - SHORT NOTICE!
ogomez2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 16:31:43 EST 2011
I'm sorry for the short notice, but I've just received the official call.
This position is to work from the ETC/SIA, which has its coordinating unit
in Malaga, Spain. The ETC/SIA works for the European Environment Agency.
Please note that closing date is the 22nd of February, and that more
documents than the CV are requested (please see below for more details).
I'm forwarding this information, I'm not the one responsible for this job
opportunity. Please find below the e-mail of the contact persons.
February, 11, 2011
Vacancy: GIS Coordinator
The European Topic Centre for Spatial Information Analysis (ETC/SIA) is an
international consortium assisting the European Environment Agency (EEA) in
its mission to deliver information on the state and trends of the
environment. The lead is the University of Malaga, Spain (UMA).
ETC/SIA is organizing a competition to recruit a highly motivated and well
qualified candidate to work as a GIS coordinator. This position seeks to
reinforce ETC´s support to the EEA by coordinating the data management
within the core team and the consortium partners.
The GIS coordinator will be motivated, professional team player who can
demonstrate excellence in data management for environmental assessments,
ability to innovate and have the potential to take increasing
The place of work is Malaga, Spain.
*Main Functions & Requirements:***
· Being the EEA interlocutor to contribute defining spatial analysis
solutions to needs expressing in the Annual Implementation Plan (IP),
adjusting methodologies to data availability
· Coordination of the ETC/SIA GIS core team to implement EEA
requirements as well as to provide the expertise required at internal level.
· Conducting complex and heavy spatial analyses for Europe.
Proficiency in ESRI GIS (ArcGIS / ArcInfo / ArcView and its extensions /
modules, especially GRID / Spatial Analyst, ArcSDE) software and relational
DB management (i.e.PostGreSQL, mySQL) is a key requirement
*Formal requirements:* Candidates applying must satisfy the following
general requirements on the closing date for the submission of applications:
· Citizenship of one of the Member Countries of the EEA;
· Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
· Have fulfilled any obligation imposed by law concerning military
· Meet the educational requirements
*Education certificates and diplomas:*
· A university degree relevant to the field concerned attested by a
diploma or an official Master
*Range of professional experience and skills:*
· A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience in an
international environment, in particular in the area of data management for
· Knowledge and understanding of the European environmental and
regional policies, as well as the European data policy such us INSPIRE and
· Responsible for server hardware and software licenses maintenance
· Server software administration and maintenance of the data (i.e.
SQLServer, ArcSDE) through backups, query optimisation, development of
procedures and triggers (i.e. T-SQL in SQLServer), DB configuration, or
· Knowledge of working with spatial databases (ArcSDE for SQLserver)
· Knowledge of setting up quality control procedures and workflows
for spatial data
· Ability to design and implement spatial relational data models
· Ability to combine license and open source technology
· Thematic knowledge of environmental data, especially land use and
· Hands-on knowledge on GIS and river systems (hydro systems, i.e.
ArcHydro would be an asset
· Familiar with the techniques of modelling. Modelling is understood
as the construction of analytical workflows
· Experience with commercial software such us ESRI (i.e. ArcGIS) and
open-source software (i.e. Grass, GvSIG, Kosmo, QGIS, etc)
· Able to apply and research new methodologies to the data analysis
and spatial data processing as well as developed new custom analytical tools
using any programming language (Java, VB, ArcObjects, Python, etc)
*Visualisation and dissemination work*
· Ability to design and implement shared environment information
system (SDIs / Geonodes)based on license-commercial solutions and open
· Team-orientated and exhibit strong oral and written communications
· Ability to lead multi-cultural team within a complex,
· Ability to communicate and present the ETC’s position in
international workshops and conferences
· Good organizational skills and highly developed interpersonal
· Ability to guide and train other analysts in the use of advanced
spatial analysis techniques would be an asset.
· Good command of English. Good command of Spanish would be an
*Characteristics of the contract:*
· Contract start: 1 April 2011 (probation period 6 months).
· Foreseen Duration: 1 year with possibility of extension till the
end of the project.
· Working period and place: 35 hours a week, from Monday to Friday
(9h-17h). Parque Tecnológico de Andalucía (PTA), Málaga, Spain.
*Benefits and Compensation*
Compensation and benefits are determined by the rules of the UMA. The
starting salary will be 43.257,96 € and depends on experiences. It is a full
We value and support diversity and equal opportunities for employment.
*Necessary application materials:*
- Euro CV
- References, Publications
- 2 referees
- Scans of university degrees
The application has to be provided before February 22nd 2011 to:
Andreas Littkopf, Manager of the ETC/SIA
E-mail: andreas.littkopf at uma.es and Cc: jrosillo at uma.es
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SDI-Europe